Sunday, 20 January 2013

The girl with the million pound note


Shimla, Sunday 20 January 2013

I've seen from day one that it's a constant hassle keeping enough small change to be able to function in India. The ATMs spit out 1000 or 500 rupee notes at you, which are like having a million pound note in the UK - no bugger can give you change! I'm exaggerating a bit, but I found myself with only 1000-rupee notes left today.

Passing a stand selling fruit, I fancied a box of kiwis (only eat fruit you can peel!), but thought it was hopeless. I explained I only had larger notes, but the lad was keen to make a sale and promptly quoted London prices for a box of six kiwis, based on him agreeing to break a 1,000 rupee note for me. I accepted. They'll be the most expensive kiwis I reckon I'll ever eat in my life. But it got me back in business again, and here I am able to buy an hour in the internet cafe. A newspaper costs 5 rupees - try giving the newspaper seller a thousand-rupee note. It's very frustrating, having all the money you need, but being unable to spend it.

The lad in the internet cafe said it's a constant problem for small businesses in India and that the government should do something about it, like make small notes more readily available so that all businesses can break larger bills. They must lose out on trade at times. I know I've bought less than I would have because of not having small change.

I'll be going into the bank in Dharamsala to see if it's possible to get some notes broken down, but I have my doubts. I can see this'll provide me with some ongoing fun for the next few months...






No comments:

Post a Comment