Delhi, Friday 1 February 2013
Here are just a few random things that have tickled me in India...
The turn of phrase in newspapers... they write the way I'd speak, with phrases like: 'and what have you'. (There were all sorts of events, festivities, and what have you.) Or, as in the pic below from a Delhi paper, it quotes 'a person aware of the matter'.
I also love their road safety campaigns. I maybe mentioned this before, the one that said: Devorce [spelt that way] your speed, not your wife.
I saw another few this week:
Death is not the only consequence of an accident. It could be worse.
Unfortunately, we were past this sign before I could see the next line... so I didn't find out what's worse than death.
And this one was aimed at pedestrians flitting in through the traffic to cross the road:
Don't take the short cut. It could cut short your life.
But top of the list of things I'm loving about India is masala chai. I love when you get it from a stall or cafe where they boil up the milk in a saucepan encrusted with the many cups that have come before... they throw in some sugar, tea leaves, some spices, and boil it all up before straining it into your cup for you. Yum.
Here are just a few random things that have tickled me in India...
The turn of phrase in newspapers... they write the way I'd speak, with phrases like: 'and what have you'. (There were all sorts of events, festivities, and what have you.) Or, as in the pic below from a Delhi paper, it quotes 'a person aware of the matter'.
I also love their road safety campaigns. I maybe mentioned this before, the one that said: Devorce [spelt that way] your speed, not your wife.
I saw another few this week:
Death is not the only consequence of an accident. It could be worse.
Unfortunately, we were past this sign before I could see the next line... so I didn't find out what's worse than death.
And this one was aimed at pedestrians flitting in through the traffic to cross the road:
Don't take the short cut. It could cut short your life.
But top of the list of things I'm loving about India is masala chai. I love when you get it from a stall or cafe where they boil up the milk in a saucepan encrusted with the many cups that have come before... they throw in some sugar, tea leaves, some spices, and boil it all up before straining it into your cup for you. Yum.
No comments:
Post a Comment